Wild Honey: Pricey Modern European restaurant in Mayfair

Main course: Roast chicken and in the background,
Slow cooked Ox tongue

Wild Honey is known for their French inspired menu which uses seasonal British ingredients. The restaurant on a quiet street near New Bond Street in Mayfair and has a slightly low-key appearance from the outside. Inside you’re transported to an old-fashioned gentlemen’s club with warm wood-panels, comfy leather booths and striking paintings on the walls.

I decided to be adventurous and have the Lamb sweetbreads with sheep’s curd, spinach and fennel as a starter while my dinner companion went for the Scottish crab with avocado and green mango. The sweetbreads were tender and the sauce slight sweet and as far cooking thymus glands go, these were done quite well. I also tried a bit of my companion’s starter which I really liked – you can’t go wrong with fresh crab paired with avocado.

For the mains, we switched a bit and I played it safe with Roast chicken with morels and gnocchi which was nice but nothing spectacular and I struggled to finish the plate. My companion had a much more livelier dish of slow cooked Ox Tongue. I've never had ox tongue before but based on my experience of trying lamb tongue at St Johns, I was quite convinced I wouldn't like this dish. Nonetheless I have to say it was cooked well with a pleasing texture.


Dessert was chocolate fondant with ice cream which I can’t remember much of as by this point we had almost finished a rather excellent bottle of red wine.
 
Starter: Lamb Sweetbreads
Dining at Wild Honey was a pleasant experience though it felt rather sedate and old-fashioned and to be honest, over-priced. I got quite a shock when I saw the bill. While the food was good, I don’t think the prices were justified. Service was also a bit patchy. The waitress for our table was lovely but there seemed to be a slight undercurrent of tension between all the waiters.

I've also been to the sister restaurant in Soho called Arbotus which has similar menu and both these restaurants have a Michelin Star. It seems to me having a Michelin Star only guarantees that the prices will be exorbitant and doesn't guarantee a dining experience that is worth what you pay for at the end of it.

I would recommend that if you do go to Wild Honey to stick to the 3 course set menu option which is a reasonable £30 – much better value for your money.

Wild Honey

12 St George Street London W1S 2FB
Tel: 020 7758 9160
Tube: Oxford Circus


Wild Honey on Urbanspoon


Comments

Post a Comment