28-50 Wine Bar and Restaurant in Marylebone near Oxford Street


When I’ve been asked to recommend a wine bar in the past, the only place that used to come to mind was Vinoteca, a rather successful and popular wine bar that’s now popped up in various locations. However, I’m a bit indifferent to the food served there and tastings by the glass add up to quite a bit on your bill. So I’m happy now to say that I found something better – a low-key casual yet smart wine bar called 28-50 on Marylebone Lane that serves a wine by the glass with a price range that keeps your wallet happy. It’s easy to sample a large range of wines if you go for the 75ml glasses which range from £2.50 upwards.





Seafood platter of prawns, oysters, mussels & crab salad
In addition, the food is suitably impressive. The seafood platter of prawns, oysters, mussels and a crab salad was fresh and delicious. The aioli they served with it was intensely addictive. I had the Cod with roasted celeriac puree, spinach and girolles in red wine which was exquisite and my companion enjoyed his Onglet steak. On another visit, I tried the burger with triple cooked fries and loved it.

Cod with roasted celeriac puree, spinach & girolles

On my first visit, I had tried the bocconcini of mozzarella served with olive tapenade and the foie gras terrine which to be honest, were adequate but not particularly memorable. I think what also put me off was our server’s indifferent, brusque attitude that day. I’m glad we went back because we didn’t encounter that problem again and all of the staff were very pleasant.

So I recommend checking out 28-50 if you’re in the mood for wine bar that serves up some pretty great food as well near Oxford Street in Marylebone.

28-50

15-17 Marylebone Lane London W1U 2NE
Tel: 020 7486 7922

Comments

Popular Posts