Song Que: Vietnamese Restaurant in Hoxton serving Authentic ‘Pho’ - Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup


I’ve had Vietnamese food before but I’ve never tried Pho. Pho is a Beef Noodle Soup and now that I’ve discovered it at Song Que, - a Vietnamese Restaurant in Hoxton on Kingsland road -, I can’t get enough of it.

At Song Que, they specialize in it - serving big steaming bowls of noodles simmering in a fragrant beefy broth flavoured with lemongrass, ginger and lime and full of aromatic herbs like coriander and basil.  They have tons of different variations though I’ve only tried pho with well done flank steak and slices of rare beef. I haven’t been brave enough to try it with tripe or tendons!




I've also tried their Summer Rolls (which I’ve even learned how to make!). Delicate, fresh rolls plump with prawns and bursting with fresh mint, basil, carrots and glass noodles – all wrapped in a clingy soft glutinous rice paper.




A bowl of Pho is super cheap at £9 and you will be stuffed to the brim by the end of it – trust me, it’s gigantic. In fact, ordering a starter means sacrificing some of the soup because it’s impossible to finish it all.

But be prepared – this is more of ‘dine and dash’ kind of place. You show up, tell the waiter how many people are in your group and then wait about 10 minutes for a table. You might end up sharing a table with another couple – who knows but once that Beef Noodle show-stopper of a Soup turns up, you don’t really care. Song Que is a no-frills no-fuss place with brusque service BUT IT’S TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Song Que on Urbanspoon


Square Meal

Comments