L’Autre Pied: Fine Dining French Restaurant without all the formal fussiness


Cereliac Mousse Amuse Bouche

We had an impromptu Sunday lunch at L’Autre Pied, a Michelin-starred French restaurant on Blandford Street in Marylebone; the same street that is home to two other great restaurants Trishna and Roganic. The choices on their 3 course Sunday menu for £35 looked interesting and since it wasn't too crowded, we were able to sit down without a reservation.

For the first course I chose the Herefordshire Snails in Parsley Mousse, Morteau Sausage and Pickled Shallot which I simply loved.  My lunch companion chose the Grilled Mackerel and Tartare with Apple Tapioca, Reblochon Milk and Miso which was interesting but I much rather preferred my starter. They also served us a celeriac mousse as an amuse bouche  which had some other little bits to it that I can't remember but it was delicate and refreshing.




Snails and Mackerel Tartare


For the second course, he chose the Shoulder of Sika Deer with Black Pudding, Beetroot and Watercress and I have to say presentation-wise, this was incredible. Perfectly cooked venison was the centrepiece with dollops and streaks of colour from the violently pink beetroot and sedate green watercress – making the plate look like a work of art.

In contrast, my Crisp Pressed Pork Belly with Nashi Pears, Glazed Endive and Tea Marinated Prunes was a lot less vibrant but on the taste factor was excellent. It was so decadent to eat – I pretty much didn’t have to eat anything else for the rest of the day. And in some measure of attempting to be healthy, I did not eat the crispy skin on the top. Okay, fine – I may have had a little piece of it ;)



Pork Belly & Venison


Initially I did want to choose the Pave of Valrhona Caramelia Chocolate, Honeycomb, Pistachio and Stout Ice Cream but after eating the pork belly, I was so full I decided having the Pineapple Carpaccio with Coconut, Yoghurt and Lime was a safer bet.  The other dessert we ordered, the Stem Ginger Mousse with Rhubarb Jelly, Passion Fruit Sorbet and Crushed Apples was nice as well but I’m glad I stuck with the pineapple carpaccio – a much lighter way to end the meal.

Service was incredibly attentive. For instance, when the sommelier spilt a few drops of wine while pouring, he freaked out despite us telling him it was not an issue and instantly replaced the glasses and served us an extra glass of wine – which was rather nice of him.

All in all, L’Autre Pied is a restaurant that serves fine dining French cuisine in casual relaxed atmosphere. I think it would be a lovely place to take your parents and have lazy Sunday lunch after wandering around Marylebone for a bit. A perfect gift for Mother's Day or Father's Day and their set menus are great value for money!


L’Autre Pied

5-7 Blandford Street London W1U 3DB
Tel: 020 7486 9696
Tube: Bond Street/Baker Street


L'Autre Pied on Urbanspoon




Comments